Tuesday, February 22, 2011

weekend at the coast

So week 3 ended in a trip with a group of friends to the coast. Oh it was a grand trip... sunshine, great food, adult beverages, sunshine, laughter, the ocean, hot tub... did I mention sunshine?! However, I did fall off the packaged goods wagon a little. This trip was planned before I made the commitment, and it was for Sage's birthday, so I don't feel bad and it wasn't a horrible fall.

The first night we made pizza... really good pizza I should add. If I had really put a great deal of thought into it, and if we had pizza the 2nd night, I would have made some pizza dough and some sauce (actually a friend who was suppose to come makes awesome sauce that she canned this summer), and then there was the Daiya cheese! Why of Whys does this not come in bulk! Everyone really did think about what they were getting and making deals with me about using the containers again. I love my friends!

One thing I did realize is that what many people think of as kind of "luxuries" are now part of my regular life. For example: fresh squeezed juices (orange and grapefruit to be exact). We had some local distilled vodka and I juiced up some delicious oranges for a refreshing cocktail. And while others volunteered to make breakfast, I squeezed o.j. It was quite a little treat to see the smiles on the faces as people were taken back to different memories. Oh and a fun little secrete... just a little splash of a blood orange makes a nice effect both visually and taste. On Saturday evening after sage made Bloody Mary's for all, she squeezed a pommel grapefruit with vodka for me... Holy beverages was that good!

This trip did help solidify some things for me. I was waffling on the distilled spirits a little. I've been asking people what they think about it. Most think that it counts as essentially a bulk item since you get several servings out of a bottle (in theory). I see their point, but I think I am going to have to hold out on this one. First, booze is not a dietary requirement, mental health maybe. We do have so many local distilleries that I may go see if I can return bottles to them for re-use, but otherwise, for the next year my only booze will be draught beer and homemade mead, cider, and whatnot. I think this is good enough. Plus we are suppose to be getting a still in the house at some point, so maybe I'll just make my own whiskey!

And really? That is my concern? Where am I going to get my drug of choice from? My life is good!

This week I did rock out an amazing hemp milk! Heck yeah! It was tasty and creamy! I look forward to getting this one perfected.

My life is getting hectic and I don't see it slowing down until maybe November, so I am super grateful for my housemates that have jumped into this with me. Having the crock pot and the dehydrator out and in full use is awesome in so many forms of that word.

I have so much gratitude for everyone who has been supportive of this endeavor and will write more on it later, but I hope you know just how much it means to me! Its making it more fun than a challenge and it is pushing me to be more creative.... and yes, I am now that person who takes their own containers to the restaurant for leftovers. OH! And last night my favorite burrito place said I can take my container to them for to-go! yahoo!

cheers

No comments: