Friday, February 4, 2011

1 week down

So its been a whole week since i started this endeavor, and its interesting. First, I am so excited that others seem stoked and inspired to change something in their lives, and I suppose that is what it is all about. We can make a difference.

Soooo, how has this first week effected me?! I was doing fine until I watched 2 people pass off a piece of gum. Now I don't really chew gum that much unless I'm playing Bob, my drum, however, I realized that this means no Tea Tree Peppermint Toothpicks! AHHHH! I love toothpicks. But now I have ideas on how to make my own, and some people that work with wood want to help me out! Sweet!

Then I went to a staff training... we love food at the co-op. All of our big meetings and gatherings have food. There was beautiful food: all kinds of peppers, carrots, oranges, and COOKIES! Newman's Own cookies as a matter of fact. And I was somehow able to pass them up. Whew... I need to make batches of cookies.

One night this week I met a friend out. We met at this bar to play some air hockey... we got hungry... we ordered some french fries. It was kind of strange to pass up all the bottles of amazing condiments that could go on said fries, but I did. No big deal here.

To be completely honest the only struggle this week, truly, was that I was hungry often, and not for anything in particular, I just got hungry often. I am eating large  plates of food, and moments later I am hungry again. I believe that as my body gets use to foods with out preservatives in it, it will adjust and mellow out, but geeze I feel like all I do is eat. And this makes me wonder....

What is it about packaged food that is so very filling? Is it the added fat? Is it the preservatives? Is it all those things I can't pronounce? It has been years since I've eaten much food that has things in it that I don't know how to say, so what is it that is making me so hungry? I've read that humans, especially Americans, are essentially toxic waste/ bio-hazards when we die because of all the chemicals in us. Is that what our food supply is doing to us, making us toxic waste? How did we allow this to happen? Is GE foods just going to make this worse? How do we put the breaks on this snowball into hell? When do WE take to the streets and tell Monsanto and the corporate run government of ours, NO MORE! Can we follow the lead of Haitians and burn the seeds forced upon us? Do we have the courage to say no fucking more!? How do we support the farmers who are willing to risk everything by not growing GE crops? I think I may have the appetite to eat whatever they grow!

I can tell you one thing.
I don't miss the freaking coconut!
I will be so happy when the coconut fad is over!
And I am saving money. I didn't think about this side effect, so I might start keeping track of my food expenses.

Tomorrow we are heading out to get a tortilla press! yes! homemade tortillas!
And really, thanks for all the encouragement, even from those who think I am crazy, but I am guessing those folks thought that of me before.

cheers

No comments: