Saturday, September 3, 2011

Summer Time In Portland

I feel bad that I haven't written more recently, but it is summer time in Portland. It has been a long time coming, and once here... Wow! It is perfect summer weather. So I have been out and about. Doing what you may ask. Well I am here to tell you.

One day I kidnapped a car and went off to the Salmon River Trail. I have been told that the Old Salmon River Road that takes you to the trail is the way people use to get around Mt. Hood. For me, it is an amazing place to quickly get out of town for a spell and relax.




The Salmon river is the only protected National Wild and Scenic river in the contiguous 48 states, where this is protected for the entire length of the river. I spent all day just waling up and down the river, finally settling into a sandy shore to sleep, snack, swim, breath.... be. It's not too far out from the city, so I hope to maybe bike out there next summer and camp.

I returned to the city very calm. Did a 6 day juice fast that revolutionized my life. A friend from work and I agreed to do the "Reboot" together after watching the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. I think I have already talked about this, but I will some more.

Here is a picture of the little friend that woke me from my nap:


the little stinger was drinking the sweat off of my ankle.

Normally this would have kind of freaked me out, but instead I just kind of watched it. When I finally stood up to leave, it followed me for sometime.

Still riding the high of the clean diet, I went for a long walk with a friend. We headed up to the Old Growth Trail in forest park. We had a grand conversation, so I completely neglected the picture taking responsibilities. Sometimes I go a really long between hikes in Forest Park, but it is a true gem in this city. That day we got in 8 miles and were able to brush against some old growth forest....and we didn't leave the city! Portland, I do love you!

Summer is not complete with out a venture off to pick blueberries. Again a car was hijacked (thanks Arturo), and 2 housemates and myself went off to Bear Hallow to pick some berries.









The space is beautiful, the berries were at their peak, its only $1.50 a pound for no spray berries from a very old and established orchard. Then when I got home from closing up the co-op, we made some jam, a pie, and well we ate a lot of them. Add these to the raspberry sauce I made from a great berry exchange, I had my first pb&j in 7 months! A couple bakeries in town have gotten use to me bringing in a flour towel and wrapping up a loaf of bread or baguette to take home. Dang it is good!

Somewhere in there was a long bike ride along the Springwater Corridor. It started simple enough, I just wanted to go for a long bike ride, and not have cars around me too much. So I picked it up along near the Johnson Creek area and headed toward Mt. Hood. It was amazing. I got to see Zenger Farm from the other side:

As I made it around Powell Butte, I got such an amazing view of Mt. Hood, I felt like I could make it there in 20 minutes. Truth is, no, but I can make it to some amazing places to go camping with my bike!  And that is worth some super cheers!

So, that is a snapshot of what I have been up to lately. What does all this have to do with being vegan and not eating packaged foods. Mostly it brings me back to what is important to me, my life, and how I live it. It is a busy hectic life sometimes, but the simpler I make it the better I can move through it with ease. I am learning that I am a very simple person. I am so happy with a plate of rice or quinoa and some kale (or whatever the house or farmers are growing right now). Home cooked meals, enjoyed with good conversations and laughter creates the most satisfying experiences, not to mention good for the digestion. So I hope to start a regular dinner night with friends who want to cook from their heart in their hearths. Creative cooking isn't always about how can I can get crazy on this sauce, but how can I create an exciting meal with what I have right here.

Here is an example. Last night was the General Membership Meeting for the two houses that make up PCH. The host house (this time it was ours) makes dinner. So I was suppose to make enchiladas similar to the ones I made a month or so ago. Well..... I switched rooms in the house, and had been painting and arranging all day. Dinner was running late, so we created a whole new dinner called "Make Your Own Fucking Enchiladas". It was fun. We had the yams, black beans, sauce, tortillas (used blue corn masa this time), and salad all prepared. People just built them up instead of us doing it and then baking it. Its a whole new dinner, and I highly recommend the experiment.

On another note, working at the Co-op, I get to talk to people as they head out for their summer adventures, and I see what they take to snack on. Usually its a can or 2 of coconut water, some kind of bar, and maybe a piece of fruit. At one point I had it in my head that I would make my own "Luna" bars or something, but honestly, I prefer a bag on cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, some sunflower seeds, dried fruit, homemade kale chips, a pluot, apple, carrot, avocado, peach, dates, figs, peanutbutter and chocolate chips, and a bottle of water. I've started to bring my backpacking water filter with me even on little hikes. The fresh river water is so much better than filling up along the way, so I just go straight to the source. It can all be so much easier if we just look at it a little differently. Next time you are at the store getting snacks, just walk in another direction and see where it takes you.







No comments: